Sunday, April 30, 2006

Eating. Cupcakes. (Columbia City Bakery, part 2).

I must confess to a debilitating weakness for cupcakes. Little tender rounds of cake, wrapped in their paper cups, piled high with frosting. There's nothing worse than a cupcake without enough icing. Actually, it's the icing I love most. Any flavor. Vanilla, chocolate, cream cheese, fluffy sweet clouds tickling my tongue. Any time I see a tray of cupcakes at a bakery I have to fight the temptation to buy one. Usually I give in.

This morning I went to the Columbia City Bakery. This is the third time this week, and I have a feeling that this is getting to be a dangerous habit. I was trying to decide on what to eat for breakfast, when my eye landed on a tray of little cupcakes. How could I resist? (There were other things I couldn't resist either, another croissant, a loaf of bread, some shortbread with cocoa nibs - the bakery isn't open on Monday or Tuesday, and I needed enough to tide me over until Wednesday). I managed to wait until after dinner to break open the box and dive in. It was heavenly, a little carrot cake spicy with ginger and a mountain of icing. Practically equal amounts cake and frosting. The cupcake was moist and the icing was perfect, smooth, creamy, airy, and not too sweet. I've only just finished eating it and I already want another one.

No comments: